Smriti Irani is an Indian politician, television actress, and former model. Here are some key facts about her:
- Early Life and Education: Smriti Irani was born on March 23, 1976, in Delhi, India. She pursued a degree in Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Delhi but did not complete it.
- Television Career: Smriti Irani gained fame in India through her role as Tulsi Virani in the popular Indian television series “Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi.” Her portrayal of Tulsi made her a household name and one of the most recognized faces in Indian television.
- Transition to Politics: Smriti Irani made a transition from acting to politics. She joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and became an active member of the party.
- Political Career: She has held several significant political positions, including serving as a Member of Parliament (MP) in the Rajya Sabha (the upper house of India’s Parliament) from 2011 to 2014 and again from 2019 onwards. She has also been a Member of Parliament in the Lok Sabha (the lower house) since 2014.
- Ministerial Positions: Smriti Irani has held various ministerial positions in the Indian government. Notably, she served as the Union Minister for Human Resource Development from 2014 to 2016 and as the Union Minister for Textiles from 2016 to 2021.
- Women’s Empowerment: As the Minister for Textiles, Smriti Irani focused on initiatives aimed at promoting the textile industry and empowering women in the sector.
- Active on Social Media: Smriti Irani is known for her active presence on social media platforms, particularly Twitter, where she communicates with the public, shares updates on her work, and engages in political discussions.
- Controversies: Throughout her political career, Smriti Irani has been a polarizing figure and has been involved in various controversies, including political debates and disputes with opponents.