Renuka Shahane is an Indian actress, director, and social activist known for her work in the Hindi film and television industry. Here are some facts about her:
- Renuka Shahane was born on October 7, 1966, in Bombay (now Mumbai), India.
- Her father, Lt. Cdr. Vijay Kumar Shahane, served in the Indian Navy, and her mother, Shanta Gokhale, is a renowned theatre personality and film critic primarily associated with Marathi theatre.
- Renuka’s parents divorced when she was young, and her mother later married Arun Khopkar, a filmmaker. This second marriage also ended in divorce, after which Shanta Gokhale formed a long-term friendship with Jerry Pinto, a film journalist.
- Renuka grew up in Mumbai with her mother and her only sibling, Girish Shahane.
- She pursued a B.A. in Psychology at St. Xavier’s College and completed her post-graduation in Clinical Psychology from Mumbai University.
- Her brother, Girish Shahane, is a contemporary writer, art critic, and artist who has been involved with various art fairs and is a columnist for Scroll.in.
- Renuka Shahane has been married twice. Her first marriage was to Vijay Kenkare, a veteran Marathi theater writer and director. However, this marriage ended in divorce.
- She later married Ashutosh Rana (original name Ashutosh Neekhra), a Bollywood actor. Together, they have two sons named Shauryaman Neekhra and Satyendra Neekhra.
- Renuka Shahane began her acting career with the Marathi film “Hach Sunbaicha Bhau.”
- She gained immense popularity as one of the two anchors of the Hindi language TV show “Surabhi,” which was widely watched during the era when Doordarshan was the primary television channel in India.
- In 1994, she had a significant role in the blockbuster Bollywood film “Hum Aapke Hain Koun..!” which became the highest-grossing Indian movie at the time.
- Renuka Shahane has acted in many Marathi films and received praise for her role in “Aboli,” for which she won the Filmfare Award Marathi for Best Actress in 1995.
- Renuka Shahane has appeared in television serials like “Circus” and “Imtihaan,” where her performances were well-received.
- Renuka Shahane made her directorial debut with the Marathi film “Rita” in 2009. The film received critical acclaim for its storytelling and performances.The movie was adapted from her mother’s novel and featured notable actors such as Jackie Shroff, Pallavi Joshi, Suhasini Mulay, and Mohan Agashe.
- She also directed her first Hindi film, “Tribhanga,” which stars Kajol, Tanvi Azmi, Mithila Palkar, and others.