Deewaar is a classic Bollywood film released in 1975, directed by Yash Chopra and written by Salim-Javed. It stars Amitabh Bachchan, Shashi Kapoor, Neetu Singh, and Parveen Babi in pivotal roles. The film is known for its powerful performances, gripping storyline, and iconic dialogues.
Here are some lesser-known facts about the film:
- Script inspired from Real-Life Character: The characters Vijay Verma (played by Amitabh Bachchan) was loosely inspired by the real-life underworld gangsters Haji Mastan respectively. The film drew inspiration from their lives and the contrasting paths they took.
- Iconic Dialogue: The film is remembered for its memorable dialogue, “Mere paas maa hai” (“I have a mother”). This dialogue, delivered by Amitabh Bachchan’s character during a heated confrontation, has become one of the most iconic lines in Indian cinema.
- Alternative Endings: Deewaar had two alternative endings written by writers duo Salim-Javed . The first ending showed the character Vijay Verma being shot by the police, while the second ending depicted him escaping from the police and leaving the city. Ultimately, the first ending was chosen for the film.
- Realistic Filming Techniques: Director Yash Chopra used realistic filming techniques for Deewaar. The film was shot on real locations in Mumbai, including the famous docks area. The use of real locations added to the gritty and authentic feel of the film.
- Box Office Success: Deewaar was a massive box office success and became one of the highest-grossing films of 1975. It received critical acclaim for its performances, storytelling, and social commentary.
- Influence on Indian Cinema: Deewaar had a significant impact on Indian cinema, especially in the 1970s. It set a new benchmark for the “angry young man” archetype portrayed by Amitabh Bachchan, which became a defining characteristic of his career. The film’s success also paved the way for more gritty and realistic storytelling in Bollywood.
- International Recognition: Deewaar was showcased at the 8th International Film Festival of India held in New Delhi in 1976. It received widespread acclaim from international audiences and critics, further establishing its reputation as a groundbreaking film.
- Songs:The songs was composed by RD Burman.Keh du tumhe sung by Kishore kumar and Asha Bhonsle was a big hit.The song was pictured on Neetu singh And Shashi Kapoor .
Deewaar remains a landmark film in Indian cinema, known for its powerful performances, memorable dialogues, and its portrayal of societal themes. It continues to be celebrated as one of the greatest Bollywood films ever made and has left an indelible mark on the history of Indian cinema.